Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Menu Plan Monday: Dec 1-7

Monday: we did a mock-up turkey dinner, thanks to leftovers from Emma!
Tuesday: Split Pea Soup (not exactly that recipe, but close- we add potatoes and Tabasco!)
Wednesday: Fish n Chips (baked salmon, baked potato wedges)
Thursday: Pork Roast ($1.99 at Aldi, cooked and all!), asparagus
Friday: Garlic Bread Pepperoni Pizza (thank you, $1.50 Aldi clearance)
Saturday: Nachos (for Jerry- I doubt I'll be hungry after two parties during the day)

I am really looking forward to cooking less and eating more this month. Tis the season of parties and brunches and hot cocoa. I'll do my share of baking and cooking, for sure, but more for the masses and less for everyday.
I'm reading the Omnivore's Dilemma now, and Michael Pollan quotes a study that explains how rats will gorge themselves to death when they're faced with unlimited amounts of lard and sugar (foods they don't normally eat alone in their diets). Likewise, when we are faced with an unlimited amount of food, we will eat more than we need to. So I've painted myself a little mental picture of a gorged rat next to a vat of lard to keep in mind when I approach the buffet line at the next holiday gathering. Hope it works.

1 comment:

  1. That fat rat was me in Czech with the dumplings... I'm so glad to be back in America where I don't eat 8 meals a day.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete