Thursday, January 8, 2009

Repurposing washcloths

Its been a while since I posted a recycling/repurposing post. As I was about to start this project I realized I should document it and share with whoever may be out there reading this. You may know that we have been cloth diapering for a while now, and I am trying to re-think my use of paper/plastic products. I don't use a lot of paper towels, but I could use even fewer if I had enough good rags handy when I needed them.
Enter the clearance-priced holiday washcloths!
I'll cut them, stitch them and stack them up where I usually have paper towels placed to use for wiping the table, counters, spills, etc. I will continue to use paper towels for things like the occasional cockroach or other nasties I don't want in my laundry. Before this venture, we used about a roll of paper towels per 1.5 months. Seriously, they last a while around here. I actually hate to use them because I feel wasteful, so I think having a cloth handy to wipe the counter will encourage me to keep cleaner surfaces. That's the "take-home" bonus for me, and the earth gets the less trash in the landfill, less chlorine bleached paper product production, less trees harvested for paper pulp bonus.
Here's the play-by-play:
I want small cloths so I will make 4 out of 1 washcloth. Chop 1, 2.Here are my 16 square cloths.

To prevent them fraying to pieces, I zig-zag stiched the two cut sides of each square. Everytime I do a sewing project like this I have to confront my fear of sewing over my fingers. Please don't try that at home.
I cut off the tag from every 4th square.Here's my new stack of wipe-up/scrub down/not-paper cloths!

4 comments:

  1. this is such a good idea. you're so stinkin creative!!! we use WAY more paper towel than we need to. you're making me reconsider... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I might try to use wash clothes as they come in a super huge pack for $3 at Target. I think the sewing might be too much for me, but I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! You’re so good. I’ve been trying to use paper towels less as well. I had strayed away from rags and washcloths b/c when I had roommates, the rags that were used to clean dishes would set in the sink forever incubating germs and then used to wipe the counter top. Leaving the counter top to look clean but smelling terrible. Eventually I grew to dislike rags and cleaned everything with Clorox wipes and paper towels. But I’m shifting away from that now due to thriftiness. And you’re right, it’s better for the earth, trees, and landfills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good idea. I am happy to see that I am not the only one in my family trying to recycle/refurbish more to help cut down on waste! Although you do a better job of it than I do.

    ReplyDelete